Filtering by message replies can be very useful if wanting to segment your audience by those who have messaged a Keyword or phrase (such as those subscribers opting in for a discount or to join your VIP text list). If for example you use a smartlink to drive subscribers through an email campaign, offering a 10% discount with the opt-in word DISCOUNT10, you could then filter by this message reply to create a segmented group. It can also be useful for finding your unsubscribers by filtering using the keyword 'STOP'.
- Head to Group Messaging and select 'Create New Group' and select 'Segment'.
- Name the group under 'Segment Name' and give a description of the group you're about to create.
- Select the option 'Select Incoming SMS Message'
- Add the text you would like to filter by and select one of the two options 'Contains text' or 'Text is exactly'.
- Select the date range you'd like to filter by or leave the default setting 'In all time'
- Select 'Calculate Size' to see the total amount of subscribers who have sent this word or phrase.
- The filter is non case sensitive meaning a search of 'Discount10' and 'DISCOUNT10' would return the same results.
- For improved accuracy, you may want to A/B test the filters 'Contains text' and 'Text is exactly' and compare the results. If for example a subscriber replied 'DISCOUNT10 please' it will be missed if filtering by just 'Text is exactly'.
- As this group is a dynamic segment, it will automatically grow if more subscribers reply with text that satisfies the criteria.