**IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ AND ACTION**
When using Blueprint you have the ability to draw phone numbers directly from the number fields at the Shopify checkout. In order to do this however, you will need to make some changes to the language displayed so that the act of using these numbers is both GDPR and TCPA compliant.
GDPR (European data protection and privacy regulation) is the law that protects the privacy and personal data of individuals within the European Union, as well as addresses the export of data outside of EU borders. See here for more information.
TCPA (The Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991) protects consumers in America and Canada from unwanted telemarketing calls, prerecorded or autodialed calls, fax transmissions, and text messages. See here for more information.
How to Update your Checkout
- Head to Shopify Settings found in the bottom left hand corner of the home page.
- Select Checkout from the different options
- From the Customer Information section, select Optional for Shipping address phone number:
- Scroll further down the list to the section Consent for Marketing section and make sure "Email marketing" is ticked. Leave the 'SMS marketing' box unticked. If you would like to use a separate SMS opt-in box (and not draw from the other fields in the checkout detailed in this guide) select the 'SMS marketing' option and follow this guide instead.
- At the very bottom of the page in the Checkout Language section select Manage Checkout Language button.
- Along the tabs at the top, click on the three dots to expand out the hidden field of Checkout & System - click on this.
- Next, rather than use the search bar (which doesn't yield results), use CMD+F (on a Mac) or Ctrl+F (on Windows) and search for Checkout marketing. If this does not provide any results, scroll down until you find the option in the list. Please note: the list of configurable options is very long and this option appears about two thirds of the way down and might be missed if not paying attention!
Once located update the field Accept marketing checkbox label to the following text:
- Next, using CMD+F (on a Mac) or Ctrl+F (on Windows) again, search for Phone Label and add the following text into the Phone Label and Optional Phone Label fields: "Phone number for order and delivery updates"
- Once completed, add the following text into the Phone Tooltip field: "We may also send news and offers (per checkout above)"
- Once all steps are completed, your checkout should look similar to the following:
- Numbers will be drawn from either the top marketing box or the delivery field.
- If wanting to use the Shopify SMS marketing box, please follow these instructions and contact your Account Manager to activate. Please note if choosing this option, you cannot draw numbers from the number fields detailed.
Disclaimer: Blueprint is not a certified legal advisory and a legal professional should be consulted for any GDPR or TCPA compliance questions.
If you have any other questions, email us directly at email@example.com.