Instagram stories are a great way to encourage followers to become subscribers in just a couple of clicks. The Swipe Up feature allows users to access a URL directly from an Instagram Story instead of going to the bio screen to click a link there. Using our Smartlinks feature, you can trigger an opt-in message to pre-populate the SMS section of the users mobile device giving a quick and frictionless way to subscribe to an already highly engaged audience. The other added benefit of this technique is that different links can be added to different stories, giving you flexibility in the discounts and incentives you offer for each story or campaign.
How to Setup
Firstly you will need to set up the Smartlink by letting us know the desired message and auto-response. E.g:
Pre-populated message: 'I want the Insta discount!'
Auto-response: 'Thanks for signing up! Use the code INSTA10 at checkout for a 10% discount on your next order'
Please send your request to email@example.com.
How to Add a Smartlink to an Instagram Story
Open the Instagram app on your phone.
Swipe left to start a story.
At the top, tap the ‘Insert Link’ option (the chain icon).
Click ‘URL,’ insert the smartlink, and hit ‘Done.’
Share your story as you normally would.
There will now be a ‘See More’ option at the bottom of your story.
- The Swipe Up feature is not available to everyone. There are two instances where you can post a link via Instagram stories - You have over 10,000 followers or you have a verified account because you’re a public figure or represent an established brand.
- We'd strongly recommend adding in a marketing terms and conditions message in small print to the instagram story itself so the user is aware of that they are signing up to receive SMS marketing messages from your brand.
- For best performance, post the Swipe Up as the first segment of a story so the number of viewers is at its highest. Alternatively, sandwich the Swipe Up between two other existing highly engaged pieces of content to utilise on the already high viewership.
- Use an incentive such a discount or free shipping to get a higher rate of conversion.
- Consider using paid Instagram Story ads to attract new potential customers. Any numbers gained will probably be far more valuable than the cost of advertising.